Friday, September 10, 2010

NEVER FORGET






I will never forget that horrible day...I was outside walking the dog when my sister called and asked if I was watching the news. I came inside and put the tv on. I sat there watching this horrible "accident" with my sister on the phone...then another plane...we then knew this was no accident. I immediately hung up with my sister and tried to call my husband who worked in the city. Of course I couldn't get through at first. Then I reached him...he said the city was chaos and that he was trying to get out. The phone kept going in and out because the circuits were all over loaded. We talked when we could...then another plane, this time in DC...it was insane. We were under attack and every plane overhead was an out of control missile. Then news reports said another plane was headed for DC...madness.
I went to my sister's house with my son who was then only 2 1/2...I didn't want to be alone waiting for my husband to get home...he finally got to my sister's house in the early evening...it took him hours and hours to get home. He came in and hugged me and our son...it was such a relief...now I think about all of those poor people who felt no relief that day. All of the fathers, husbands, wives, mothers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters who never made it home.
We were attacked by evil people who hate us...they hate our country...they hate our freedom...and they tried to take it away from us, but they did not.
I remember such a feeling of strength and unity those days and weeks following the attack...driving by homes with flags flying proudly in the wind, almost every car had a flag attached to it. Messages of hope written on windows. Police Officers and firefighters were heroes again. We were all united, one big family grieving together and trying to get through it.
Where did that all go? Every year when the anniversary comes around there's grief made fresh and a sad nostalgia...yes we should move on but we should NEVER FORGET. We should feel that unity and pride in our country always just as we did in the days following that tragedy. Our nation is far from perfect. We all have our personal problems and struggles... but for a terrible, brief time we were all joined together...we should be joined together always for we are one nation UNDER GOD. NEVER FORGET. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

No comments:

Post a Comment